BRITISH COLUMBIA LITERACY COUNCIL
INTERNATIONAL LITERACY ASSOCIATION
British Columbia Literacy Council of the International Literacy Association
Date: Annual General Mtg. Wed. Oct 2, 2019 @ 4:00 PM
Location: David Livingstone Elementary School (Library)
315 East 23rd Avenue, Vancouver
Attendance – ILA / BCLCILA memberships verified
Linda Klassen <firstname.lastname@example.org>,
Liz Bell email@example.com
Karen Addie firstname.lastname@example.org
Lorna Bennett L5bennet@shaw.ca
Honey Halpern <email@example.com>
Shirley Choo firstname.lastname@example.org
Geri Gruft email@example.com
Lori Jamison firstname.lastname@example.org
Carrie Froese <email@example.com>
Kelly Patrick: firstname.lastname@example.org
Polly Dobie: email@example.com
Garth Brooks <firstname.lastname@example.org>,
Mike Bowden email@example.com (preferred email)
- Brief history of why BCLCILA - ReadingBC has come back to establish itself as a presence in the Lower Mainland of Vancouver .
- Kamloops had a vibrant literacy community. Intention was to move BCLCILA to Kamloops to grow the organization. Has not been successful over the last 3 years. Moving BCLCILA back to Vancouver for another attempt to grow the organization.
- Emphasis on building capacity around literacy in B.C[Office1] .
- Focus has been on recruiting a diverse range of educators with well-developed networks with practicing teachers (ie. elementary[Office2] [CF3] , secondary, library, public and private systems, classroom teachers, resource teachers and administrators)
- Two events were held in June, 2018 at University Hill Elementary School to indicate the BCLCILA is active in the Lower Mainland and to provide a template for the running of a Professional Development Event and Community Literacy Event. The purpose was to promote ILA and build capacity. Joyce Perreault[Office4] , Indigenous author and Indigenous[Office5] Support Worker at Elementary / Middle School facilitated both events focusing on Medicine Wheel teachings featuring her new book, All Creation Represented.
- Website has been updated. It is a work in progress.
- Twitter Handle established for BCLiteracyCouncil-Canada @BCLiteracyCoun1 to establish a social media presence: 81 followers to date. Please remember to include handle in tweets.
- Discussion about the session Lori has decided to provide will lead the author session (Pro-d / date and location t.b.a.)
- Discussion about getting the information out /promote regularly (communication/social media.)
- Discussion about link to ILA membership and provincial membership-discussion about ‘branch for membership’
- Discussion about linking our members with ILA at the AGM (networking / face to face/conversations). “It’s a gathering and a sharing.”
- Discussion about people around the province wanting to have a voice and to be supported.
-Motion: name of association, defining more what the coordinator does, roles played and to played by the Executive.
-We do not have a parallel structure with ILA. and have struggled as a group and so it will be tabled for a future.
Motion: To defer discussion to a future date.
Motion by Shirley seconded by Lori
Thank you to Garth, Mike and Carrie for their work on the by-laws revision
Motion to accept – Linda
Seconded by Karen
Motion to approve: Linda
Seconded by Karen.
Carried / 2 Abstentions
Motion – Garth
Seconded by Linda.
Discussion of financial report.
Carried – No Abstentions
-Approximately 42 members as of October 2, 2019.
Past President (appointed position): Mike Bowden,
President: Carrie Froese (acclaimed) / Honey Halpern (Withdrew her name)
V.P.: Linda Klassen (acclaimed)
Director of Membership Development: Kelly Patrick (winner by majority vote) / Lorna Bennett,
Secretary: Polly Dobie (winner by majority vote) / Meredith Kezar
Treasurer: Garth Brooks (winner by majority vote) / Shirley Choo
Recommendation for Provincial Co-ordinator : Karen Addie / Lori Jamieson (withdrew her name)
Motion to destroy the ballots after being tallied
Moved – Lori
Seconded – Honey
Thank you to all of the people who put their names forward for consideration.
President: Carrie Froese
Vice President: Linda Klassen,
Director of Membership Development: Kelly Patrick
Secretary: Polly Dobie
Treasurer: Garth Brooks
Recommended Provincial Coordinator : Karen Addie
Motion: A date be set before the next meeting for clarification of bylaws.
Moved – Garth
Seconded – Polly
Motion: The date to clarify bylaws be set for November 25, 2019.
Moved – Garth
Seconded - Carrie
20. Strategic Planning Committee / Mike Bowden: tabled
21. Grant and Project Committee: tabled
22. ILA Canadian Reception/ Garth Brooks: tabled
23. CSIG-L/ Garth Brooks: tabled
8. ILA Attendance: Mike, Carrie and Garth to attend upcoming conference in New Orleans
Carrie has scheduled a meeting with Tiffany Sears at ILA to discuss revitalization of BCLCILA in the Lower Mainland of Vancouver, as well as, including but not limited to good governance, by-law revision, procedures and policies, on-line votes, Spring Training session with ILA staff
9. Financial Institutions /By-Laws : tabled
10. Annual Calendar: tabled
11. Next Meeting: t.b.a.
12. Meeting adjourned: 6:45 pm
Moved - Garth / Seconded - Karen / Carried
|Contact Us||© 2005 - Reading BC | Design by Jakiti|